Militants bring anti-Con-Ass, anti-Chacha fight to Pasig River

Militants bring anti-Con-Ass, anti-Chacha fight to Pasig River

From Ayala financial district in Makati City to the murky waters of Pasig River.

Members of the anti-Charter Change (Chacha) fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas who took part in the big rally against Constituent Assembly (Con-Ass) and anti-Chacha rally in Makati last June 10, this time went back to Pasig River in Guadalupe and sailed away towards Malacañang Palace a 2 meter by 3 meter bamboo raft filled with anti-Con-Ass and anti-Chacha placards

“We want to send this message to Malacañang and inform President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and her rabid loyalists that the fight against Con-Ass and Chacha will continue until Ms Arroyo comes to her senses and drops her immoral plans to perpetuate herself to power through any available means aside from prostituting and cannibalizing the 1987 Constitution,” Pamalakaya national chair Fernando Hicap said in a press statement.

“This is just the beginning of more water-based actions against Con-Ass and Chacha. We intend to do more. We are prepare to brave the murky waters of Pasig River and Manila Bay just to show Ms Arroyo and her ruling Mafia that her days in Malacañang are numbered,” the fisherfolk leader said.

Hicap said another water-based protest is set on June 29 along the river bank of Pasig River in Manila, where another “balsa” (bamboo raft) filled with anti-Con-Ass and anti-Chacha placards will be sailed away towards Malacañang Palace.

The Pamalakaya leader said, the group is also planning to conduct a community swimming against Chacha on July 13, and a swim protest in Manila Bay few days before President Arroyo delivers her State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 27.

The militant group said Malacañang is not only pushing Chacha for the political survival of President Arroyo, but as well to honor its commitments to foreign companies which want to avail of Philippine agricultural lands either for free or at bargain prices by lifting the nationalist provision in the 1987 Constitution banning 100 foreign ownership of land.

Pamalakaya said the European Union is now pressuring the Macapagal-Arroyo government to execute Chacha to lift the ban against foreign ownership of land under the RP-EU Cooperation and Partnership Act which was signed in 2002 but was kept from public scrutiny.

Another controversy, the group said, is the agreement between the Philippines and Japan, where the Macapagal-Arroyo government will allow the United Kingdom based Japanese firm–Pacific Bio-Fields Holding Plc. and its local counterpart the Northern Luzon based—Bio-Energy NL to utilize some 400,000 hectares of forest areas for coconut plantation for free provided that 60 percent of biodiesel products will be acquired by the Philippine government, and the remaining 40 percent would supply bio-diesel fuel to Japan for Japanese users in five years.

“This is the biggest sell out of national patrimony in recent years. The senators and the congressmen must do something to invalidate and stop this triple platinum betrayal. While 7 out of 10 Filipino farmers are landless, the Philippine government is giving away 400,000 hectares of land which is equivalent to the total land area of Masbate or Abra. This is condemnable to the highest order,” the group said. #

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under elections, Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s