Noynoy, Mar warned: Stop Ayong’s demolition plan or face electoral backlash in 2010

By Bb. Joyce Cabral and Sugar Hicap

Bacoor, Cavite- The left-leaning fisherfolk alliance Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya) on Tuesday warned Liberal Party presidential and vice-presidential candidates Senator Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III and Mar Roxas that the people of Cavite will not hesitate to junk them in the 2010 elections because their LP point person in Cavite- Gov. Ayong Maliksi is spearheading massive demolition of fishing villages across the province to pave way for foreign funded government projects.

“We will campaign for the outright rejection of Noynoy and Mar in the province of Cavite if they cannot stop their point man– Governor Maliksi from reducing people’s homes and livelihood into debris of the past,” said Pamalakaya national chair Fernando Hicap in a press statement.

“This is a make or break for the two aspirants in the 2010 national elections. They have to stop the madman of Cavite, who is Gov. Maliksi, their party mate and LP’s main man in Cavite if they want to keep their winning chances at par with other presidential and vice-presidential candidates. If they will not act on this matter, the people of Cavite have no option but to campaign against the LP tandem of Noynoy and Mar, and they have nothing to blame but Gov. Maliksi and his appetite for destruction and fat kickbacks,” the Pamalakaya leader added.

Hicap said Cavite province is one of the top 5 provinces in the country with the largest concentration of voters with more than 1 million registered voters as of 2008. The Pamalakaya official said the 1 million voters in Cavite could make or unmake a president or a vice-president, especially in a hotly contested and open wide electoral race.

“Noynoy and Mar should discipline Maliksi and stop his madness if they want to stay in the electoral derby in 2010, or else face rejection of the Cavite people next year,” he added.

Reports reaching Pamalakaya headquarters in Quezon City revealed that Gov. Maliksi is planning to undertake a major demolition operation in Barangay Sineguelasan in Bacoor, Cavite to pave the way for R-1 Expressway Extension Project, an enabling project for the expansion and modernization of Sangley Point Naval Base in Cavite City, which the national government intends to develop as a major international seaport in the country.

“The 11-kilometer expressway project is a road to perdition and a highway to destruction. But for Gov. Maliksi, the road expansion project is a multi-billion peso finance campaign worthy of millions of pesos of huge kickbacks in return. And to effectively carry out this P 4.3-billion road project, they are exploiting and prostituting the SC ruling on Manila Bay,” added Hicap.

Pamalakaya accused President Arroyo, Gov. Maliksi, Atienza, Ebdane and Revilla Sr. of destroying the remaining corals and mangroves of Manila Bay by pushing the R-1 Expressway Extension Project by allowing the reclamation of 7,500 hectares of the submerged public properties along the bay to give way to road construction.

“Reclamation will hasten the death of Manila Bay which is currently under the Intensive Care Unit and in full environmental comatose. That undertaking by design and by orientation, and by law is against the SC decision on Manila Bay. If Noynoy and Mar will not listen and will continue to subscribe to Maliksi’s program of destruction in Cavite, then the two LP bets are digging their own graves in the province,” the militant group said.

Pamalakaya said the R-1 expressway extension project will displace 26,000 fisherfolk families and urban poor residents in the coastal towns of Bacoor, Kawit, Binakayan, Noveleta and Cavite City. Last year, around 1,000 fishing and urban poor families were demolished and relocated to Tanza. The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) promised to give P 15,000 to each family whose houses were demolished.

The militant group recalled that on June 21, 2007, President Arroyo signed Executive Order No. 629 directing the PRA to develop Sangley Point in Cavite City into a logistical hub with modern seaport and an airport, citing the R-1 expressway extension project as enabling component. The Pamalakaya leader said the Sangley Point project was Mrs. Arroyo’s birthday gift to Revilla.

Pamalakaya said the R-1 extension project resulted to diminished fish catch and destruction of remaining corals and mangroves in Bacoor Bay. The same Cavite road project is also being blamed for the flooding in Bacoor and nearby coastal towns in the province.#

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under elections, environment, Manila Bay, politics

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s